Thursday, December 1, 2016

Day of Surgery

December 1, 2016. I arrived at registration area in the surgical building (building M) at The Hospital at Westlake Medical Center at 5:30am on a very cold morning and brought with me:

  • Photo ID
  • Living Will, Durable Medical Power of Attorney and Advance Directives
  • Insurance Card
  • All documentation I received from my insurance and from Crane's office about coverage, procedure codes, etc. I didn't need this, but better tp be safe than sorry.
  • A sheet of paper with my name, DOB, and my preference for length (now 6"0) and that none of my forearm tattoo be visible on the exterior of the penis, but could be cut into for the urethra.
  • My dad and my partner
I entered the facility, was ushered into the waiting area and within a few minutes called up to register. They scanned all of my documents, asked a few questions, put a bracelet on me, A nurse brought me and my partner back into the prep area where I changed into a gown, thigh-high tights, grippy socks, and hair net. I looked stellar. Thumbs up!

Ready for action!
I woke up like this!
They pumped hot air into the bair paws gown to keep me warm, took my vitals, and put an IV in. Several people came through - the main nurse, the anesthesiologist, the nurse of the anesthesiologist, Dr. Crane, and so on, asking the same set of questions: What surgery am I having? Previous surgeries? Allergies to medications? Do I need anything? Everyone was very nice and professional. Each visit would last about 5 minutes, and the rest of the time I spent sitting and talking with my partner.

I was nervous and, altogether, I was sitting around doing nothing for at least 90 minutes left to stew in my own thoughts, fears, and excitement. It would have been painful had I been alone. I'm really grateful my partner was there with me to people watch, make jokes, and reminisce. Every step of this has brought us closer. I feel incredibly lucky.

At 7:30am I was sedated and wheeled away. I don't remember saying goodbye to my partner, the effect set in that quickly. The surgery ended up taking about 8-10 hours. I was promptly moved to the ICU where I was hooked up to a number of wires, drains, and ports. I remember very little of the rest of that day. Unfortunately, my partner was given few updates along the way and wasn't immediately informed when I was out and in ICU. We have since provided several staff associated with Crane's practice and the hospital with feedback about that disappointing part of our experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment