Saturday, October 22, 2016

Hysterectomy of 2011

On December 16, 2011 I had a total hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo oophorectomy and removal of my cervix at the Fletcher Allen Hospital in Burlington, VT. My surgeon was Dr. Kym Boyman of Vermont Gynecology and I can't remember whether it was simply laproscopic or robot-assisted (da Vinci). At the time, she was doing half of her hysto's with and the others without the da Vinci robot.

I requested and received a non-narcotic pain protocol (luckily, I had no break-through pain), which included arnica, tylenol, and ibuprofen. I was also in/out of the hospital in the same day. Most people stay overnight, but I woke up from the anesthesia with a strong desire to be at home in my own bed. I was able to get out of the bed, walk, and urinate, so they allowed me to go home.

The experience was not painless, but it was very minimally painful. I experienced cramping for a few days (akin to bad period cramps/bloating) and very low energy. Per post-surgical directions, I would take short walks a few times a day, and then crash after feeling exhausted by them. Within a week the pain was pretty much gone and I was gaining my energy back. My 3 scars are the diameter of pencil erasers and are almost completely faded.

Hysterectomy scars 5 years post-op

Why'd I do it?
By late 2011, I had been on testosterone for 5 years and I knew in my heart of hearts that I would never de-transition. My body felt way too good on testosterone! I had also let go of any interest in giving birth to a child. In my early 20's having children was a deep desire of mine as was giving birth. *Luckily for me* that passed and now I'm very happy that the only babies I have are fur babies. I was also gainfully employed, had good health insurance coverage (both hugely important), and was worried about potential health problems, negligent medical professionals, etc. I lived in VT, but I had also seen Southern Comfort and read Stone Butch Blues. I was not going to fuck around.

I was also hoping that I would be able to lower my dose of Testosterone post-op. Testosterone is processed through the liver and it is possible that long-term use can put a strain on the liver. I've scanned numerous medical articles and there is no evidence of this, but then again there are very few research studies (especially long-term ones) done on transgender men and our health. Unfortunately, my post-op bloodwork revealed that my Testosterone levels remained the same and that I would need to continue with my pre-op dosage.

Vermont Gynecology
I can't say enough about how amazing Dr. Boyman and her staff were in terms of providing care and advocacy for their trans male patients. The office staff reserved appointments at the end a few days during the week for trans men only so they wouldn't feel uncomfortable or "outed" by being in the waiting room. She asked a lot of questions in our consultation in order to be able to document the various symptoms that insurance companies would need to see in order to approve the surgery. And, she and her staff used all of the "trans friendly best practices" (names, pronouns, affirming language, etc.). I was deeply impressed and felt that I was in competent and caring hands.

Fun Fact: Dr. Boyman's wife, Beth Robinson "served as co-counsel in the case of Baker v. State, the landmark 1999 decision that led to Vermont becoming the first state to enact civil unions" (Wikipedia: Beth Robinson). That's what I call a power couple!

Insurance
I had Blue Cross/Blue Shield of VT health insurance and was listed as Male in the system. In speaking to my HR department and the surgeon, they said that this procedure would go through the system, but that it would be "flagged" in advance since the computer wouldn't normally recognize that as an approved series of codes for men. I think it only took about 72 hours for the procedure to be submitted and approved. Way to go BC/BS of VT and Vermont Gynecology!!

Retrospective
In the fall of 2006, a few months before I started testosterone, I made an appointment with my gynecologist to tell her that I was transitioning and to get information about having a hysterectomy. I had a history of ovarian cysts (holy crap they are painful) that manifested in my life while I was in college. I went on the pill, which shrunk them and kept them from re-emerging, but I continued to experience painful ovulation and painful menstrual symptoms. Additionally, endometriosis ran in my family. My OB/GYN knew my history and when I told her of my plans to transition and requested a hysterectomy she flat out said NO. She was visibly uncomfortable in our meeting and said there was no way any insurance company would grant a "reproductively healthy woman in her 20s" a hysterectomy. I left and did not step foot in another OB/GYN office for 5 years.


No comments:

Post a Comment